Friday, May 16, 2008

The Asian



So once upon a day in my desperate attempt to be on time for my public speaking class, I entered the classroom surprised to see my seat, the one I so protectively sat in on the first day of class for the mere reason that it was in complete isolation, was taken. So, instead of proving myself a retard by fumbling all over the place to try to sqeeze my way through the disarray of the classroom chairs, I walked quickly and took the seat next to my original seat. As I settled in and began to relax and listen to the professor, I look over and something pink catches my eye. A bandaid. Not only was this a pink bandaid, it had a barbie face on it. Not only was it a pink bandaid with a barbie face on it, it was found on the hand of the 21 year old male who I was sitting next to. Yes, that barbie loving 21 year old took my seat. Ugh. It was a sign that this was not going to go well. After a few moments of brewing over my stolen seat, I looked over at him and commented on his appealing bandaid. "I like your bandaid" I said, he replied with a very nervous smile and defended himself with some classic excuse. Throughout the class period I didn't say much else to him and I left without a thought. The following few days I would arrive to my class finding him in the same spot, my spot, and surprisingly enough I came to enjoy his company. Also, I came to find out that this kid had returned from a mission just two and a half weeks before from a comment my teacher made about it in class. Wow. He started walking me to class after a few days and he didn't come off as a stocker or anything, SO I embraced the gesture... until one day. It was a wednesday and we were on our usual route to my classroom when from behind we hear "hey uh.. guys?" As I turned I saw her. The asian. (I don't even know her name and honestly have no desire to, so therefore she will be refered to as "The asian" without any racism intended.) So the asian begins to walk with us, and while wiggling her skinny little body inbetween me and my almost friend, she begins to tell her sob story of how her testimony is faltering and she could really use some help from someone. Suddenly, I was invisible. Jenny? Jenny who? This guy was lunged back into missionary mode and starts talking a million miles an hour, completely ignoring my exsistance in the process. And on her devilish way of taking my newly found friend away from me, she gives me a smirk. At that moment I remembered, that day in class when the teacher made a comment about this guy being a newly returned missionary....ARE YOU JOKING! Seriously?!?! The asian had paid zero attention to him a week ago?!? But now that she knows he's a returned missionary she wants him? What! Does he have a sign on his back that says, Single and Disease Free! (such as the illustration in the top left) We're in Utah for goodness sakes! She could catch some random guy in the hall and use her little line on him, or hey! Here's an idea, if she really is having a hard time, maybe her bishop? huh? huh?!? HUH?!?!? Come on man! I never make friends. So there.. all alone, i watch as they walk off together, leaving me behind. Shocked, Alone, and mostly annoyed. Flip, all I wanted was a friend! One! ugh.

The next class period the seat that I so loved was given back to me as this guy moved to sit by his new female interest. Sigh... The Asian takes the Victory. Congratulations.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

He'll figure it out... give him a little time to get 'normal' again and I bet he's back in the seat beside you. If not, there will be another one just around the corner. Maybe he can counsel you if you're having testimony trouble! lol

Erin Kay said...

Don't we love Utah!! Oh returned missionaries and overzealous wives-to-be. At least you don't have to use the "testimony line" to get the attractive, bandaid wearing, seat stealer!!

Kati said...

I knew I never liked asians!